- Get the latest build from the arrozcru autobuilds page
- Unzip the folder into C:/Program Files/ffmpeg
- Add C:/Program Files/ffmpeg/bin to your system’s PATH environment variable
Optional libx264 preset setup:
If you use libx264 presets (by using the -vpre flag) you need to do the following setup.
- Create a HOME environment variable for your user pointing to your home directory. (e.g. for Vista C:/Users/moose or for XP C:/Documents and Settings/moose )
- Create a .ffmpeg folder in your home directory
- Copy the preset files from C:/Program Files/ffmpeg/share/*.ffpreset into %HOME%/.ffmpeg
- Now you can open a command prompt and use ffmpeg. :D (e.g. This is my Vimeo video conversion command. ffmpeg -i input.mov -vcodec libx264 -vpre hq -crf 24 -g 25 -acodec libmp3lame -ab 192k -ar 44100 output.mp4 )
*note: libfaac is not included in the build since libfaac is considered to be a non-free plugin. :(
Update: ffmpeg has gone through some changes. use -preset instead of -vpre. Also, the hq preset is no longer available. Available presets are: ultrafast, superfast, veryfast, faster, fast, medium, slow, slower, veryslow and placebo.
Also, the ffmpeg binary is deprecated, use avconv instead (mostly compatible with the same options)
avconv -i input.mov -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -crf 24 -g 25 -acodec libmp3lame -ab 192k -ar 44100 output.mp4